Swim Lesson Drop-Out
Yes, we are swim lesson drop-outs. Sad but true, Amanda was "a little too independent" for the mommy and me swim thing. She wanted to stand on her own, not really possible in a 4 foot pool. As a result she spent most of the sessions going up and down the stairs into the pool. Of course this activity was punctuated with tantrum episodes when I would try to make her participate. The instructor basically told me to wait until she is three and try again in a different type of class. The funny thing about all of this is if you ask Amanda about swim class she gleefully states "kick, kick, kick, blow bubbles," none of which she actually did. Ok that is an exaggeration, she did blow bubbles the first day in an effort to impress everyone, and she did do A LOT of kicking, mostly of me, because she did not want me holding her. So, I guess all of this is further support for the theory that trying to make a toddler do anything is kind of like trying to walk a cat!!!!
On the upside, Amanda is doing pretty well in gymnastics. The only major problem seems to be the 10-minute organized stretch at the beginning of class. However, I have one question about that, who thinks to themselves when they are going to teach a class full of one and two year olds "I bet they would really enjoy sitting on the floor in a circle stretching when there is a full obstacle course full of mats, slides, hoops, tunnels, etc. set up all around them"? Anyway, after the stretching torture session is over she does pretty well. And, I have thought of a way to combat the stretching torture, arrive late. Even though I am a chronically early person who hates being late, I think I am going to try arriving late next week. "Having a baby changes everything"--Thank you Johnson and Johnson for those insightful words!!!!!!!!!
Anyway, glad to hear all is pretty much well with our SMALL, EXCLUSIVE group of bloggers!
<< Home